Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Good, Better, Best



I have always loved the talk by President Dallin H. Oaks about good, better, best. But didn't until today realize how I could apply it to myself. For the past several years, I think that I have been in survival mode. Running a day care was a lot of fun, but it took all of my time. I started at 6:30 am and didn't finish until 5 or 5:30 every day. When I had kids here that I was watching, I had to completely focus on them. My kids were here too, so it was great that I was always with them. But I rarely if ever got a free moment. Ok once or twice a day I was alone in the bathroom. =) Even when all my kids were little it wasn't as time consuming, because I could put them down for a nap, or turn on a movie, and take a break here and there. It was a full-time job that was done at home. Not to mention my own kids. Now luckily I had Chad here to help, and then I even had my sister helping, which was great. But even with both of them, I was almost always "on"


Then last year after my sister got married and Chad started working up in Los Angeles I was really flying solo. Which is why I decided to stop doing full time daycare and just do three days of 3 hour preschool. I abosuletely love it. The kids are awesome and I can't imagine doing anything else. Mondays and Fridays I don't have any set commitments except that I volunteer at the school on Fridays, but Mondays are almost completely free.


And thus we get to the point of my post. Today after the kids left preschool I had 2 hours until my kids came home from school. Because Mondays are mostly free, I get pretty much caught up with cleaning and laundry, with not too much left during the week. So as I sat here I almost couldn't decide what to do. The thought process was this, "well, I could wash the few dishes in the sink, or fold the two loads of laundry that's left, or I could just play the piano, or maybe I should take a nap." (playing the piano won). And thus the thought of the talk came into mind. "so this is what he meant about how we spend our time doing the best things, even if the other things are good. Because for the first time in a while I felt like I didn't absolutely have to do anything. When things are mostly caught up there isn't the same pressure to just keep plugging away at everything that "needs" to get done. Now don't get me wrong, the dishes piled up after the kids came home, and the family room is a mess again, and darn it if those kids didn't wear enough clothes today to make up 2 more loads of laundry. But the point is, I now feel like I can spend my time doing the best things. Like just holding Brooke tonight as she fell asleep watching Monster's Inc. Or talking to Dylan about things that happened at school. Or reading out loud to Spencer last week when he stayed home from school.


But most of all I feel like I can enjoy the most important thing in life...my family.


p.s. I should have figured this out and enjoyed the best things even when life was hectic, but as usual it took going through it and looking back to see how I could have done things differently.

3 comments:

ferntyler said...

Love the post, Shauna - I know people talk about how "busy" it gets when they get older, but I find I do have more decision to actually make for what is going to happen, as opposed to "hold and feed baby all day". It's hard to figure out that best and I loved hearing about yours...

Bryn said...

Nice! I am so glad you made that decision to just do 3 days, you seem happier. I am glad you are Riley's teacher! You are wonderful.

Laylabean said...

It sounds like you made the right decision. I'm glad you are finding some time just for you - you certainly deserve it after all the time and love you give to everyone else. You are such an amazing person!